Sunday, April 13, 2008

Otis

I decided that this one blog is going to be about me, Stephanie, and my old friend Otis. Those who know me well, know how much Otis means to me and what an important part of my life he is. I had to leave him behind when I moved to Kansas City because he was way too big for my apartment. Often when I would come home to visit I would cry when I left and dad reassured me that he walked him at least once a day, he played in the yard, pounced on his bone and was living the best dog life. It made me feel so much better since by the time I had a yard for him, he was 7 and I didn't want to move him and cause him stress. Those who know me well, also know that Otis has had several health issues in his life which have, at times, almost taken his life. I have extreme loyalty to this dog. There were times when all he could eat was plain rice and I would cook it for him 3, 4, 5 times a day. Whatever he needed. We would lay on the floor listening to Sunday in the Park, a pet CD, and he would heal. I am what some would call "an animal person." :) Some of you may think that I am crazy, but did you know that 74% of dog owners consider their dog another child, or at least a member of their family? I am not alone! ha! Well, for those of you I have not proudly announced this to....Otis turned 10 on April 4th (thanks Dad for taking such good care of him for me!). Yes, I know his birthday! Quite an accomplishment for a dog his size (He's an English Mastiff with a recessive gene so he's got fluffy fur).He has been doing well, but recently age has been catching up with my dear friend. He's really taken a turn for the worst in the last few months, so Nathaniel and I took the babies and went to visit him this weekend. I owe him that and he was thrilled to see me. I took all sorts of pictures of him. The one of him in the yard is beautiful. He's so proud! For now Otis is resting at home and will hopefully be around for a few more years, but I have to be realistic and know that it might not happen. I found myself laying with him today and crying, remembering him when he was younger. I am a sap, what can I say?!
Otis has been a best friend and a loyal friend to me for many years. He's taught me responsibility in life (taking care of him!!) and been right there when I had a bad day. So here's to you old friend, I love ya! :)


No comments: